Movie Review: Get Out

Gabby Masters, Reporter

Get Out, directed by first timer Jordan Peele and starring Daniel Kaluuya, is a newly released horror movie shining light racial issues within our society through comedy and horror. This Blumhouse production was released on February 24, and rapidly became one of the box office’s top grossing sales, earning $30.5 million during opening weekend.

Many are going to the extent of referring to it as one of the best horror films of our time due to its well composed plot. Get Out balances its manner to provide viewers with an entertaining and clever satire that is equally funny and terrifying. After leaving the theater with an overwhelming abundance of emotion and satisfaction, I can confidently agree that this film was well deserving of the rare 100% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

The premise of the film surrounded an interracial couple, a black man who discovers that his girlfriend’s “liberal” hometown is masking a sinister secret as they join her family for a weekend getaway. This movie isn’t exactly what you think it is based on trailers, but this article will stay away from spoilers – this is a film best served cold.

Get Out was surprising and funny, while also offering a compassionate, thoughtful look at race. While most of the humor came from Chris’s best friend, Ron the proud TSA worker, the level of undeniable unease from both Chris and the audience can not be overlooked. Chris’ constant anxious feeling, about being completely surrounded by white people as an African American, presented an eye opening view about the racial strain in our society. The movie was packed with plenty of comedic punch lines, some intentional, other parts being humorous due to the oblivious white crowd or suspect behavior of the house keepers.

Though a majority of the plot was void of outright racism, the underlying tension in terms of ignorant comments towards black people was something many viewers could easily recognize, especially in our current society with the division of races and mistreatment of African Americans, even by the authorities.  This film daringly exposes aspects of liberal racism in our country, which has been festering over the years. Peele created a cinematic masterpiece with his inclusion of mixed relationships, eugenics, a subtle replication of a slave trade, and police brutality. The antagonists of this film weren’t southern confederate flag owning white supremacists, they were middle class liberals. Get Out so delicately revealed how nice law abiding white people unintentionally, make life so hard and uncomfortable for black people. All in all, Jordan Peele diligently entwined horror, comedy and politics into this entertaining, thought-provoking film, everyone is encouraged to take the time out to enjoy it, I know I did.