CSS Working “9-to-5” on the Upcoming Musical Production

Naomi Pina, Reporter

It’s that time of the year again! No, not Valentine’s Day! Columbia Secondary School (CSS) is back at it with a new amazing musical performance! This year’s musical is called 9-to-5 and it’s highly anticipated.

9-to-5, based off of the 1980 movie, focuses on the working lives of three women — Violet, Judy, and Doralee. Their workplace, Consolidated Industries, is presided over by the sexist and pompous Franklin Hart. All of the three women have a huge hatred for their boss because of his sexist character and actions. Not to spoil too much of the musical, but the workers’ hatred leads to their plan to get rid of the boss. In a hilarious turn of events, Violet, Judy, and Doralee become the new bosses in the office; they give it a huge makeover giving it a much needed feminine touch. The musical overall is very inspirational and demonstrates woman power.

From the cast, to the crew, and even to the band, everyone is excited for the musical.

From the backstage crew, Annika Larson, junior, describes the backstage crew as a family and the things that she most cherishes from being part of the crew.

“Everyone’s super supportive of everyone,” said Larson. “I witnessed one of the members coming out to us and everyone just started celebrating and congratulating that person. Also, there are people I never talked to before but we just striked a random conversation, and it’s really cool!”

Moshab Rahman, junior, and one of the supporting male actors who plays Dick Bernly (Judy’s husband) agrees on how great being in the musical is.

“Musical is my life!” exclaimed Rahman.

Beatrice Mhando, senior, who plays one of the female leads, expresses her excitement for the upcoming musical.

“I guess I’m excited to perform in the musical because I think it’s a musical that talks a lot about issues that are prevalent even now,” explained Mhando. “I think not only would it be a good experience artistically but educationally as well.”

At every practice, everyone is hard at work. The actors and actresses usually begin with a chain of vocal exercises as a warm-up. Then they proceed to practice the many choreographies of the musical like tap dancing, “greasy song,” and more. The backstage crew is also hard at work.

“During rehearsals the backstage crew gathers the materials that we need for practice. Also, we’re responsible for setting up the scenes,” says Wareena Johnson, junior, who is a part of the crew.

She describes how cool it is to see the raw process of how the musical is formed.

“Watching the actors and actresses perform is entertaining,” said Johnson. “I can’t wait to see the audiences’ reaction!”

“The musical in one word?” said Professor Attridge, “transcendent!”

The CSS musical production 9-to-5 is scheduled for February 2nd, 3rd, 9th, and 10th. So be sure to check it out!