New Sign Language Elective at CSS

By Jazz Davis (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Keitlin Ushe, Reporter

Sign Language is a very important part of our modern society. A air portion of the United States population is deaf, so sign language is a skill that can be very useful. Sign language is not only a good skill but it is a way people can express themselves in a way they find very creative. There is an art to sign language that one doesn’t get from just speaking verbally.

“[American Sign Language (ASL)] began to show me some signs and I immediately became enamored with the language,” said Phoebe Eljashev. “After doing some independent research I realised it wasn’t enough and I spent the summer taking a course in the Sign Language Center. After the course ended, I knew I wanted to spread my knowledge to those in CSS and hopefully spark the same level of interest and enthusiasm that I found in me.”

Phoebe knows the beauty of sign language and wants to spread it to her peers as she teaches alongside Katherine Dubbs, the executive producer of a company called Sign&Sing.

“[Dubbs is] who helped to guide me through what I can and cannot teach” explained Eljashev.

A sign language elective at CSS is clearly wanted and is very fun and enthusiastic whilst also being very educational and important.

“I saw how immensely important ASL is to the Deaf community” said Nicole Fraidenraich, junior. “After every session in my summer course, the instructor would tell us how happy he was for us to be learning and excited for the sessions. He explained that it’s people like us that have to help put an end to the stigma deaf people face every day.”

Not only is the elective educational, but it creates a positive and inviting environment.

“[It’s a] nice group of people and after a stressful day of school this is a nice way to relax and learn and new language with nice people,” said Fraidenraich.

People appreciate and enjoy what they are learning, so anyone who joins will be in a great environment. During this elective the basics of sign language will be taught at the beginning and everyone can learn at a pace that suits them. Join Sign Language elective second semester and you will be surprised how you can be culturally educated and have fun at the same time within a course.