SAT vs. ACT, You Choose

Maira Vargas, Reporter

As the Seniors finish up the college application process, for Juniors (and overachieving Sophomores) it has just begun. An infamous and daunting part of the college process for many students is standardized testing. Although some schools have become test-optional, for the majority of colleges submitting either SAT or ACT scores is still a requirement.

To start your college application process, it’s important to know the difference between the two tests. Knowing the difference between the two can help students decide if they want to take one or both. But, a critical part of deciding which to take is completing a practice exam. A practice exam can tell you which exam you naturally do better in and orient you to which you should take. The Princeton Review offers options to register online or for paper and pencil practice tests free of charge at a school near you.

The differences between the SAT and ACT are listed in the chart below:

Courtesy of The Princeton Review

Test Prep Options

After concluding which test you’ll take, then begins test prep. A private tutor can cost up to $500 an hour which, for many, isn’t a realistic option. Luckily, there are other options that will help you achieve the score you aim for.

SAT Resources:

Khan Academy- Starting in 2017 Khan Academy began offering free personalized assistance with the SAT. Once you take an official SAT, you can sync your College Board account so that Khan Academy can see your full score report and make a personalized test prep plan for you.

• SAT Books- A few cult favorites are Barrons and The Princeton Review. You can borrow some books from the college board or buy some online
  • Tutoring centers- NYC overflows with opportunities for students to get SAT tutoring for free or at low costs. You can find some here! The College Office can also help you find other tutoring services
  • CSS- Last Spring CSS offered free SAT classes after school

ACT Resources:

• Practice Exams- Looking up ACT test codes helps you find free PDF forms of old ACT tests
  • ACT Books- A few cult favorites are Barrons and The Princeton Review.
  • The ACT- If you qualify for a fee waiver, the ACT will allow you to have 6 months free of their online test prep.

I hope these tips help make your college application process a little bit smoother!