For the Love of Food

Sidhvi Dindi, Reporter

Sahaar Craddock, freshman, received a grant of over $500 to start a cooking class at CSS. Craddock has always been passionate about food and cooking and it has always been her dream to start a cooking class. She wanted to share her love of food to students and show them how to cook with love and enjoy delicious food.

At first, Craddock didn’t really plan to start a cooking class.

“I loved to cook” Craddock explained.  “But the idea of having my own cooking class seemed like a dream.”

Back in December, Professor Young made her health class write five goals students would like to accomplish in their freshman year. Craddock had written she would like to start a cooking class. That triggered Professor Young to make Craddock apply to a grant. Much to her surprise, Craddock received a grant to fund all the cooking supplies she needs.

“After applying,” said Craddock. “I kinda didn’t think I would get the grant. I mean $500. That’s an incredible amount of money. But when Professor Young told me I had received the grant, it was just … out of the world.”

Since Craddock was part of the school’s musical, she waited till February to start her class.

Once February had come, Craddock started planning. She wanted the class to be around ten people because she wanted it to feel like a community and a safe place to enjoy people’s love for food. However, having a cooking class was not as easy as she hoped it would.

“I had received a grant for the cooking utensils but not necessarily for the ingredients,” Craddock explained. “It wasn’t realistic on my part to get the ingredients for 10 people for all the classes.”

But she did not give up. She talked to Professor Young on what she could do about the ingredients. Professor Young told Craddock that a compass teacher was interested in funding for the rest of her cooking class but the program has to be eligible for only compass students. Not only that, Craddock had to attend the compass classes herself.

Craddock was not happy about it because she wanted her program to be available for all high school students not only compass, so she didn’t accept the offer. Craddock thought about how she was to fund the program and decided to make the students signing up for her class pay $5.

“I kinda didn’t really like making them pay for the class but I guess that’s the way it is going to be.”

But overall she was pleased that she was able to work through all of it.

Craddock began putting up posters and people began signing up for the program.

“I was really excited. I decided to make chicken pesto pasta and kale salad with garlic breadcrumbs.”

Finally on March 14, Craddock’s dream had come true: her very own cooking class happening right now!

“Honestly, I was really excited” explained one student who signed up for the class. “I knew Sahaar was gonna do an amazing job. She really deserved it because I know she is very passionate about cooking.”

“Sahaar is really good at teaching,” said another student. “I signed up for the class because I wanted to learn to cook and Sahaar does a wonderful job at it. The Chicken pesto pasta was delicious and I am definitely gonna try to make it again.”

However, another student offered constructive criticism.

“I think the class would’ve been better if we all the students chose together what to make for the class. I don’t really enjoy pasta very much so that was rather disappointing.”

Finally, Craddock was asked how else she would like to improve the program.

“Later, I would like if teachers are interested as well. ‘Cause I know some teachers and not as good at cooking as they are at dropping students grades.”