CSS: Rock The Vote

With School Elections In Progress, The Candidates State Their Positions

Voting continues until 5 O'clock, Friday

wikicomons image

wikicomons image

Sophia LaCombe, Reporter

It’s that time of year again– election season! A time filled with anxiety and competition, but also brimming with promise.

This year, we only have two offices that are to be contested, since Woody Chiang and Beatrice Mhando are running unopposed for secretary and treasurer, respectively. Running for president, we have Jenna Kerman, Isaac Reeves, and Murshea Tuor. The vice presidential candidates are Tyler Colon, Jean Franco Molina, and Rusat Ramgopal.

What we all want to know leading up to the election is how these candidates plan to impact the student government and what changes they plan to make that will benefit the student body. Questions were sent out to all of the candidates running for office, and below are some of the answers these hopeful officers provided.

• What do you hope to change if you are elected student body president? What’s the biggest/first issue you would address?

Isaac Reeves: My first issue I would address as student body president is to help create more unity between student government and the student body. I want the student body to not only know that student government cares about their opinion and such, but I want them to feel that. A government can’t be effective if the people they’re serving don’t trust in them or have any faith in them. That’s the first thing I want to address. After that, it’s the way we communicate with the student body. Their opinions matter, so we need to actively get their opinions, whatever the students want to see happen. If the students want more dress down days, then I’m going to work on making that happen. If the students want more events like dances or game nights, then I’m going to work to see how we can make that happen. But we can only do that if there’s effective communication.”

Murshea Tuor: One of the main reasons I want to be elected student government president is to change the spirit in CSS. I have watched the years drag on at CSS where we are all upset with the uniform policy, the detention policy, and the double-period rule. I hope to alleviate some of these pains by making CSS a place that is fun, that has vibrant energy, a place where we’re all happy. I want us to be proud to go to Columbia Secondary School and cater events that no other school has or even take ideas from other schools. I want to improve our spirit. I want seniors to feel the accomplishment of getting to senior year, juniors to feel the reassurance of the stresses, sophomore and freshman to be happy about the school they chose and find themselves immersed in a plethora of activities that they can tell all of their friends about.  I hope to work with the administration to foster an environment for more spirit and bring more events to the school.”

Jenna Kerman is running for student body president. She’s been a student at CSS for seven years, and her family has been involved in CSS life two years longer than that. She was student body treasurer last year and has demonstrated commitment to the student government through her work, both as treasurer and interim president. She wants to fight to make every day at CSS more enjoyable, bring back community days, improve the dress code policies, open a carnival at the end of the school year, bring outside lunch privileges to high school, bring more dances to the school, and fight for the interests of the high school body as a whole.

• What, in your opinion, are your best assets that will serve you well as vice president? How do these set you apart from your other candidates?

Jean Franco Molina: “My best assets are undoubtedly my flexibility and open-mindedness, as well as my penchant for organization and communication skills. The first two traits work well hand-in-hand because they allow me to compromise on certain ideas. Open-mindedness ensures that everyone’s ideas and opinions are heard, while flexibility allows me to see which ones are feasible and/or able to be compromised with other existing ideas.

The role of organization and communication cannot be downplayed enough, especially in the context of government. They are key in how the government functions smoothly and effortlessly. If a dance needs to happen, everyone needs to be on the same page; everyone needs to know when it’s happening, what time it’s happening, where it’s happening, who’s doing what, that sort of thing.”

Rusat Ramgopal is running for vice president because he wants to bring about change to CSS where student government has been lacking. Although he has not served in the student government in the past, he has served in a leadership role in both the debate team and the Quizbowl team as captain. He believes he can bring about change by informing the student body about events that are in the works as well as bridging the gap between student body and student government.

Tyler Colon is running for vice president. He has had a lot of experience in student government, serving throughout all his years in high school. He has been responsible for many changes that have benefitted the student body, such as providing an extra lunch space for people so the cafeteria isn’t so crowded. He believes that pride has been enforced by the administration as of late, not earned, and he wants to change this mentality of our school. He believes that our school has evolved a lot since its origin, and wants to bring back the original CSS values that we had at the start. One central CSS idea he wants to bring back is J-Term, or at least some more field trips. One of his goals is to encourage the administration to focus on high school just as much as they do middle school. His main goals are to make institutional changes and bring CSS back to its origins.

• Why are you running for class representative? What do you hope to contribute to the student government?

10th Grade

Ethan Rubin: I am running for 10th Grade class rep. Like a U.S. Representative, I plan spend a lot of time meeting with my fellow classmates to talk about what is happening in our student government and to ask for any suggestions they have. If elected, I promise to listen to their concerns and suggestions before speaking for them.”

Mithat Bligi: “I want to be the voice of the sophomores. I want to keep my promises and I promise change. I hope to provide the 10th grades’ perspective on things. I hope to solve problems in the school.”

Luca Sakon: “I am running for grade rep to stand in as a voice for the sophomores and be a liaison between them to the rest of the student government as well as the administration. From the past, I have heard amazing ideas come from my fellow peers and I want to make sure they are all heard and taken into consideration. All voices matter and listening to ideas is crucial, as these ideas stand as the base for what should be addressed and worked on during the year.”

11th Grade

Joy Glenn: “I’m running for 11th grade representative because I want to help the voice of our grade be heard. I want to help implement changes that can help the school.”

Savannah Harcum: “I’m running for 11th grade representative because I feel that I work best when I am in direct connection with my peers. This way I can see exactly what people think needs to change about the school and what it is that we have done well. By working directly with students I am helping to bridge the gap between student government and the student body.”

Good luck to all the candidates!