2016-17 Student Government

Claire Xu, Reporter

This year, we elected our new student government officers. The new president is Murshea Tuor, senior, the new vice president is Tyler Colon, senior, the new secretary is Woody Chiang junior, and the treasurer is Beatrice Mhando, junior. We also elected our class representatives for the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes. For the freshman class, the representatives are Samson Zhang and Alison Pasbjerg. Luca Sakon and Ethan Rubin for the sophomore class, and for the junior class, Joy Glenn and Savannah Harcum. Congratulations to our new elected student government officials!

They worked really hard to help the CSS community, and they also really enjoy it.

I like to be in student government,” Joy Glenn said, “I enjoy trying to make the school more enjoyable for students and to help the students become more united through different events.”

The new student government has done a lot so far.

Luca Sakon said, “Student government has accomplished the establishment of committees within ourselves and developing ideas along with our vision for the future.”

For the blood drive in October over 70 people came and over 46 donated blood. They also planned dress down days for Halloween and Thanksgiving, as well as the Holiday winter dress down day on on December 21.  The money raised was used to support the winter formal dance on January 13th. They held a City Harvest Can Food Drive to donate canned food from November 17th to January 13th, where everyone is welcome to donate. They also planned a game night on January 6th on the 5th floor.

“The goals for the spring semester are to start implementing these ideas and tackling some projects such as enforcing the fundamental basis and structure of the student government by revising the Constitution.” Luca said, “Although it is often very challenging, I enjoy being in student government because I believe it is possible to develop it along with our school more. I enjoy working for my peers and want to create fun events so they can enjoy. While it is very time consuming and needs to be thought through deeply, I believe there is potential to improve so there are a more variety of events as well as more communication with students along with interest which will unify CSS more.” While Professor Harrigan said, “They did really hard work so this year for those events, and also helped in the Hispanic heritage show and the Holiday extravaganza, I am really proud of them.”